Sunday, August 29, 2010

College Chaos

I'm all moved into my dorm and I have to apologize for the late update. I know I have been in the dorms for 4 days and haven't said a peep about it, but I gotta say- I'm exhausted! While my mama was here we were running around buying all the goodies for my dorm room. I swear we went to target 10 times (I know we at least went there twice in one day) Plus, I've been meeting people left and right...well, I had a little bit of a moment...I really just had to learn to put myself out there. The only problem I had with that right now is that I'm meeting people that aren't really in my classes or in my ward. So I feel like there is not point, but it's definitely better now!! My roommate came on Friday and she is really cool. I'm meeting a lot of people through her and we seem to mesh really well. 

New Student Orientation has been Monday-Friday and I gotta say it is so tiring. It's non-stop go go go. We meet in groups called our Y groups and we basically get to know everyone, walk around campus, go to devotionals, eat lunches together...mostly all day. We also had a couple of devotionals. We had one devotional where the president of BYU spoke. He talked about the experiences we are going to have while we are here and how we should take advantage of every opportunity especially if it's something you wouldn't normally do. Then we had another devotional and my Book of Mormon teacher was the speaker. He's hilarious! and I'm really excited for that class now. He talked about how we should combine learning spiritually and intellectually-don't keep them separate. I really like the devotionals and I'm excited to see what other speakers we will have this year.

I walked around campus today with my roommate, one of her friends from back home, and his roommate. We literally went to all of our classrooms and by the end of it all we were just ready to crash, except Lizzie and I had a hall meeting and our first ward social tonight. I was excited to finally be meeting people in my ward. They all seemed really nice and my bishop seems pretty cool! Tonight we had a dance and some other activities in the Wilkinson Center. I'm so mad I didn't have my camera to show you all pictures, but the dance was pretty fun except we stayed there for like 15 minutes and then we went inside to this dating game show and Divine Comedy preformed which was SO funny. They had tons of glow sticks they were throwing out and they were just really funny. Did I mention they were hysterical? Yeah I was laughing pretty hard. 

With college-there's a lot to think about and a lot to remember. I've gone to the bank, the bookstore, the health center...it's just a lot to digest and I'm getting there. in fact I catch myself asking people what there names are and then I don't listen and don't even know their name by the end of the conversation haha. Probably not the best approach.

Sorry this is such a boring and scattered post. I'm just totally drained. First sunday tomorrow. First sunday in the new ward (starts at 9-like home!). I miss you all back home, but I'm really enjoying it out here and can't wait to see what this year holds for me :)

1 comment:

  1. Great post Maggie, you captured it all especially that there is a lot to think about and a lot to remember. Your post made Todd and I think back to our first week of college. It was so much fun but very overwhelming. Have a blast, take a deep breath and go get 'em. Great skyping with you this morning. Luv and miss you!

    ReplyDelete