Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Russell M. Nelson and Julie B. Beck














A perk here at BYU is being able to hear from some of the great leaders of the church. We had stake conference on Sunday where Russell M. Nelson, Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, came and spoke to us. Then the ladies got a bonus when Julie B. Beck, Relief Society General President, came and spoke at a fireside. Now, Sister Beck said that texting, hobbies, and blogging we nice things to do, but not the things that will keep us in line with Heavenly Father, but I think I can make an exception when I'm studying her words and sharing them with others, right? :)

From Nelson's talk:
Alma 36:3--Alma testifying to Helaman "I do know that whosoever shall put their trust in God shall be supported in their trials, and their troubles, and their afflictions, and shall be lifted up at the last day."

"You don't need to worry about the future if you are yoked in the spirit of the Lord"

"If you do all you can do and be repentant--the Lord will make up for the rest"

From Beck's fireside:
"Prepare to serve a mission...Even if you don't go-the time will not be wasted."

As Relief Society sisters, Sister Beck stated the three things we are responsible for: 1) Increase faith in the home 2) strengthen the family 3) seek those in need and provide relief

"The Lord always rewards those who use common sense" She humorously stated that if someone tries to know if God exists and asks him to save him if he/she jumps off a cliff...that's not using common sense.

Moses 5:11--Our difficulties are part of God's plan

Visiting Teaching--you are assigned to be a visiting teacher to be an agent to the bishop. You are helping the Lord take care of his sheep.

Most important skill to obtain in this life is being able to recognize and follow the spirit.

I'm grateful for these wonderful leaders and I'm very fortunate to have been able to hear them speak. I hope to continually remind myself of my purpose here on earth and to strive to be the best that I can be. Happy Tuesday, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment