Saturday, August 13, 2011

Cherish Every Moment

On August 9th a co-worker and friend of mine took his life. I remember my first day of work. I was being introduced to everyone but all the servers kept giving me different names (confusing I know). However, one server came up to me and said, "Hi, I'm John". I replied jokingly, "Is that really your name?!" He looked at me with confusion and I realized I had just made a big fool of myself. That was how I met John. John was the one other server who worked all the same shifts as I did. He always had a smile on his face and he always made me feel comfortable. With his 6'3"(?) stature, he took on the roll of my "body guard" whenever creepy Luis came around. (Luis would always try to grab my hand...just made things awkward). John would fold my napkins at the end of our shifts if I gave him a back rub. We would always laugh at the summer-hire-who-musn't-be-named who had no clue what he was doing. John made my job so fun. 

Less than a week before John passed away he was promoted to be a manager. I knew that was a goal of his and everything just seemed to be going right for him. No one expected what was about to come next. I received a text from Marcelo with the news and I was in shock. We all still can't believe it. On my last day at work I remember as I was saying good-bye to everyone I watched John walk out the door. I remember thinking..."I'll go run and say bye...but I'll be back next week to visit." Just wish I had followed my first instincts. 

What has this taught me? To cherish every moment I have on this earth. To appreciate every person I meet. To say I love you more. To say thank you more. To see the great attributes that others hold. To be grateful for my Heavenly Father who embraces the ones we have lost. To love the gospel with every ounce of my being.

John, the O'Donnell's family misses you a ton! We are all not sure what to do with ourselves. You have impacted so many people including customers and your co-workers. I know you are at peace and I know I will all see you again someday. We love you and miss you.

4/15/1984--8/9/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment